Friday, September 8, 2017

"Big Mama" Is Gone....

I was just informed by KAAY's head engineer that the RCA, "Big Mama", as David B. Treadway called her, is now gone.

Was:

...and no more:


My heart hurts!  I am so thankful that Jerry Sims, the 2nd "Sonny Martin", now gone also, pleaded and cajoled with me to make the pilgrimage to Little Rock and Wrightsville, AR to see this once-magnificent radio station.  I was tearing up heavily when I saw David B. lovingly caress her face, then listen for her as he pressed his ear to her...as I am about to now.



That's Gordon Stephan behind David B.

And, to Jerry Sims, who made me actually realize my dream:


I can't say this enough: I love you guys, for caring enough to show me around and taking time with me, a humble fan from so long ago.  One other Great, Charlie Scarbrough, "Charlie King", who took the time to ferry me and my family around, thank you SO much!


I will always have fond memories of KAAY, and especially of this trip.  A few months later, Jerry Sims died from a heat-related incident while doing what he loved: playing softball...but that's another story.

At the top left-hand corner of this blog, type in "my trip" and search; post after post will come up, relating to my trip to Little Rock and Wrightsville, AR back in 2012 and will reveal all the wonderful pictures and memories I experienced.  One more chapter closed on KAAY.  Thanks, Daniel.

Bud S. (staceys4@Hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment