Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Russell Jones' Story

Here is even more info from Facebook, posted Oct. 1, 2018...Russell tells his story and is celebrating 40 years in broadcasting!

"For my radio friends and former co-workers. Today marks my 40th year in broadcasting. I was taking a public affairs class at UALR and Terry Caldwell came up to me after a class and said, "Russell (I) want (you) to intern in the news department at KAAY!!!" Without hesitation this freshman said yes! I went to work with Marvin Vines, John Philpot, Lee Frank, Susan Rist and of course Terry Caldwell. Got to host a public affairs show. Jack Randle was doing mornings. Carl Hamilton was the GM.... Multimedia still owned station. Dave Montgomery, and Felix McDonald helped me study and get 3rd class license. Over the years I have met and interviewed local and national politicians, movie stars , sports figures, covered sporting events, major news stories like Titan 2 explosion in Damascus., murder trials, have done play by play for travs., worked with Jim Elder.  Been President of the Arkansas Associated Press Broadcasters Association for 5 years and won the Mark Twain award and Best Newscast and Sportscast while working for KWOZ. I have worked and learned from the very best radio and TV people, too many to name here over the past 40 years. I have had fun. but sometime in 2019, I will, because of technology and health, have to call it quits. Learned a lot in television working at AETN. Broadcasting has been a second family.

 Have a great day!!!"


Thank you, Russell!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

1 comment:

  1. When I was at KAAY, Russell did the late evening shift. One day, I received a package From Norway with a Reception Report and a 3-inch tape. Sure enough, they had received Russel's 11 pm ID over the North Pole.

    I later read that there was a band of crazed Radio Enthusiasts who would travel to northern Norway, where they had long wire Antennas aimed at he United States and would spend their nights seeing who they could hear.

    I don't remember if I shared that with Russell or not - things were VERY chaotic at KAAY during the Carl Hamilton era - but I should have and hope that I did.

    ReplyDelete