Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Howard Watson, "Ken Knight", In Radio Heaven



On June 10, 2014, Howard Watson, a.k.a. "Ken Knight" on KAAY, passed into eternity....

http://pbcommercial.com/news/local/watson-remembered-golden-radio-voice-heart-match

http://pbcommercial.com/obituaries/howard-watson

Howard has been mentioned many times on this blog; quick of wit and extremely talented, he was often called upon when material was needed, especially on "Ear On Arkansas" parodies.  It was mentioned that when someone called him, he could have a whole show penned and ready within thirty minutes!

(I have the red 1966 and the blue 1967 "Ear On Arkansas" albums now and will post pictures of the latter in the future.)

"Howard Watson used two other stage names during his career. He used the name Ken Knight on KAAY radio on a program called “The All Night Satellite.” Later he used the name Len Day at radio stations in central Arkansas, including Hot Springs Village.", as reported in the first link above.

When I was in Little Rock back in 2011, I hesitated contacting Howard's son Jeff, because I didn't want to inconvenience Howard; some said he was embarrassed by his speech after he had a stroke in 2004 and rarely received visitors.  I can't remember which, either Charlie Scarbrough or Jerry Sims drove me by Jeff's residence, where Howard lived, just to show me.  So close, yet so far....  I regret now not having called Jeff, as I missed possibly meeting one of The Greats of KAAY and Arkansas broadcasting history.

If ANYONE has any previously-unreleased audio of Howard, please contact me, as I would be honored to post it here, in his memory....

See you later, Howard....thank you, Doug Virden, for alerting me.

Bud S, (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment