Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A "New" Halloween Treat!


I have been a (very) amateur astronomer for many years, very avid in my boyhood, laying out in a grass field, looking at the stars, planets and constellations.  My interest has resurfaced a few years ago, with the help of a friend and I have enjoyed my new-found hobby once again.  The Witch Head Nebula cannot be seen with binoculars or small telescopes, that I know of, this image was taken by the Hubble Telescope.  I found it while searching some images and thought some might appreciate this image, just in time for Halloween!

As per NASA's website: "...this reflection nebula associated with the star Rigel looks suspiciously like a fairytale crone. Formally known as IC 2118 in the constellation Orion, the Witch Head Nebula glows primarily by light reflected from the star."

Oh, the beauty of the skies!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment