Thursday, February 12, 2015

Another Great Ad From Beaker Street

Something just occurred to me today...when I was listening to the January 1, 1972 aircheck, I thought about the ad where The Allman Brothers, Vince Vance & The Valients and REO Speedwagon played an encore concert that night, since so many people weren't able to make the concert New Year's Eve (12/31/71).  I thought of our friend Bobby Wahl and The Warehouse tribute site, wondering if there wasn't some more memorabilia there... lo and behold, there was a poster of the concert!


Bobby is constantly improving the site, so you MUST go there and check it out, if you haven't recently!  http://www.blackstrat.net/  Clyde Clifford ran these ads (and many more) well outside KAAY's local area, because the station's signal covered so much ground- it was like a worldwide shortwave station!  So many people flocked to The Warehouse, I believe, because of KAAY's/Clyde's airing the ads.

By gosh, here's another one:


The ad for the encore concert ran many times in the early A.M. hours of Beaker Street on this particular aircheck...remember hearing them in the post a few back?

From time to time, I'll sprinkle a bit of history here and there, hopefully for your enjoyment, to augment the experience of the airchecks!

Alas, I never made it to The Warehouse; I worked all the time I wasn't in school and college.  There was little time for play.  I was able to make concerts in Mobile, AL, Pensacola, FL and Gulfport, MS, because I could drive back home in a reasonable time and not lose too much sleep.  I regret that I never made it to New Orleans.

THANKS SO MUCH to Bobby Wahl, the master of The Warehouse tribute website!  Give it a visit and leave Bobby a note telling him you saw this here and how nice his site is looking- it just keeps getting better and better!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment