Monday, March 17, 2014

Favorite KAAY Memory By Kimbery Dunn






It was a sunny, Saturday morning. I was 10 years old. My older brother got a new radio and let me have his old one. He brought it into my bedroom. It was white, plastic, about the size of a loaf of bread with a two knobs on the front. A small one for power and volume and a large knob for tuning. The radio was already tuned to KAAY (of course!) My brother plugged the radio in, showed me how to turn it on and off and then left the room. I sat down in my little wooden, child sized rocking chair, turned on the radio and caught the end of a song and gasped!


“Is that the Beatles??!!”

The DJ didn’t say, but I just knew it was! And I sat in my rocking chair all day, staring at that radio, waiting to hear the song again... and I mean, ALL day....

When my best friend came over, I told her I couldn’t play because I needed to stay in and listen to the radio. She looked at me like I was crazy, then got mad and left.

But there I sat, rocking and listening to the radio until finally- FINALLY!!!- the song was played again and I got to hear it in it’s entirety.

The name of the song? “Yellow Submarine”

It was 1969, I had my very own radio and got to hear “my most favorite group in the whole wide world!” on MY radio... and it was Heaven.

-Kimberly Ingram Dunn
North Little Rock, AR

(Thank you, Kimberly!  Looks like a Motorola, can't readily identify the other, but I also have a couple of radios similar to those- great memory!  Bud S.)

No comments:

Post a Comment