Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lind Voth/Len Carl Checks In!

Wow, what a start to my Monday morning!  Another of The Greats, Lind Voth, a.k.a. Len Carl, found our this blog and contacted me...here is his e-mail:

"Thrilled to see that you're keeping AJ's blog alive. Margie and I were blessed to be able to spend a weekend with him about 3 years ago. That's when he did the interview.

I had sent most of my memorabilia to AJ sometime back, so I don't have much to contribute. Will look around and see if I missed anything that might be of interest.

Keep up the great work.

Lind Voth
Len Carl"
 

Len Carl is the handsome fellow in the purple basketball jersey right behind Emperor Holiday!  Len carl was the second Manager of KAAY.  The interview he mentioned was in several parts on A.J.'s blog; the problem is, the players there have gone silent once again.  However, just Googling "KAAY Lind Voth" will point you to the videos (they're blocked here at my work, due to policy).  If I can get the direct links, I'll repost them here....does anyone have the ability to download and record these videos?  If so, I'd like copies!

(P.S. From Dave S.:  A.J. split Lind's interview into four parts.  You can find them on Youtube.
Here they are:
  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8lftrxwaU 
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwoW8ktFjoE 
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaWksYVSq4 
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJHwzD1eMI  )

In the meantime, we'll be looking for more of Lind Voth!  Thank you, sir, for checking in!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

1 comment:

  1. Len Carl did an editorial on KAAY in the Summer of 1963 following complaints about the lyrics of Louie Louie by the Kingsmen. Len read they lyrics of Louie Louie on the air and at least one editorial was directed to the people in Newport, Arkansas. I remember this phrase:

    "These people would find a double meaning in the Declaration of Independence."

    Len ended his editorial with an offer of a copy of the lyrics and somewhere in my archives, I have a copy of the lyrics of Louie Louie on KAAY letterhead and signed by General Manager Len Carl.

    There was a document relating to the KAAY Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) facilities posted on the wall at th e KAAY transmitter site that was signed by Len Carl. I think that it involved the 12-cylinder diesel engine that was KAAY's emergency power supply.

    As an aside, KAAY was THE EBS station in Arkansas. To signal an emergency, KAAY would drop its carrier twice in a row for 15 seconds and this would trigger lights and speakers in the control rooms of radio stations across Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete