Tuesday, April 20, 2010

FROM THE LAST DAY TO THE FIRST !

A special "Hi" to all !

I've been reading and listening to all of the great stories about "KAAY: The Last Day".

Ironically, today - April 20, 2010 - is the day I moved to Little Rock to start my job at KAAY.

It was that fateful day of April 20, 1969, that I left KLID in Poplar Bluff, MO. to drive on into L.R.  I remember it almost as if it were yesterday:  the excitment, the anticipation, the nervousness (yes, that was always a factor in leaving "established roots" no matter where you were headed), and the feeling that I'd try to capture "lightning in a bottle" and contribute all of my time, talent, and energy to this WorldWide appreciated 50,000 Watt Giant: KAAY.

I was driving my nearly-new, custom-ordered '68 Cougar XR-7 and stopped for gas about 30 miles out of L.R.   In those days an actual "attendant" filled-up your car, and while he was doing that I went inside to get something to drink.  They had a radio on and I was sure it was KAAY because I had been listening on the way down, they even had a "last year's" KAAY Razorback Schedule still hanging on the wall.

When I got my drink and was paying for the gas, I asked the clerk - as I always used to like doing - what station they were listening to.  "That's KAAY", she said.  "Is that a good station ?", I asked. "Oh, they're the only one I listen to !  They have really good songs all the time..." she replied.  'Nuff said. I had to contain myself, trying to keep from telling her that "...tomorrow night, you can hear me on that station !"

As it went, I got to L.R. okay, Barry Wood, who was the PD then, was waiting for me at the station.  We went over the "basics of the board", and by that time a Sunday Night religious block was on.   My friend, Richard Enderwood (read more about him on my Personal Site) and his wife, had said that I could stay in the spare room of their Mobile Home til I found a place, so we had some dinner, and I hit the sheets...trying very hard to get some sleep before the Big Day.

I'll try to fill you in on that tomorrow.

All the best to you all,

Jonnie King

No comments:

Post a Comment