Monday, November 2, 2009

Doug Krile Checks In

Doug regales of his time at the station:

"Bud,

My time at Cottondale Lane was quite limited, doing some part-time work there while anchoring at KARK. The first shot was doing early morning on the 1010 AM signal - when it was "Hot Talk" - with Tracey Carrington. Later, when Dick Price was doing mid-days, I recall stopping by and getting the story of the carpeting on the wall and how it dated back to the old days of KAAY. Later, I did a noon-1 pm talk gig on KSYG, during the period they were trying to establish it as a talk powerhouse - as I recall I followed a strange series of shows, including Dr. Joycelyn Elders and that guy who broadcast from his home in New Mexico - I'm drawing a blank as to his name, but he got bounced from a gig in San Francisco (I believe) and tried syndicating his own show from his home. I spent some time running the board for his show, too.

Along the way, Scott Anderson came on board after getting noticed as part of a three-man syndicated show out of Phoenix.

Honestly, I had more fun doing those deals on the side than almost anything else! The daily interaction with the listeners was incredible and I still miss that!

Doug"

Thank you, Doug!  Maybe the guy in New Mexico was Art Bell?

Comments, station history, listener memories, etc. are ALWAYS welcome here, so y'all come on in- we have an "open door" policy here, kick your shoes off, sit back, talk about old times and enjoy!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

2 comments:

  1. Nope, it wasn't Art Bell. He was/is in Arizona. This is driving me CRAZY, trying to remember this old guy's name! I believe I read a few years ago that he had passed away. I did a Google search for San Francisco radio personalities and couldn't find anything that looked familiar. Maybe it was another CA market? I know I didn't just dream all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never Google your own name...you never know who might be talking about you. :) I remember that carpet well. Underneath it, the KAAY crew had signed the wall.

    ReplyDelete