Monday, August 16, 2010

Me and Barry Mac!

You saw him on the video awhile back on "Whatever Happened To The Mighty 1090?" and you've heard his contributions to our blog in many, many ads and audio bits...and here is the man himself, Barry Mac!  Ol' fat boy (your host) is on the left....

Barry was coming through Mobile on his way home to Arkansas, with his son, from a vacation in Destin, FL (see, he wasn't afraid of anything regarding oil on the Gulf Coast.  His son said it was great!).  He took time to stop and graciously allowed me to meet with him for a few minutes- I felt like a 5-year-old at a surprise birthday party!  As he had quite a ride ahead of him for the evening, I didn't want to intrude any more than he had time for me to!

Barry has the distinction, you remember, of operating the board on the last evening of the last day KAAY was a rock-n-roll station...and ran the board for Clyde Clifford that last hour...and I shook the hand of that man....several times!

Barry was on board in the latter glory days and stayed on afterward.  He did a show with some of the old audio called "KAAY Rewound" which then turned into a regular show, "Radio Yesterday".  As happens with seemingly all radio stations, a good employee and upper level management sometimes don't see eye-to-eye and one divorces another...hence, happening in this case.

Needless to say, I found Barry to be quite humble, informative, and very patient with me; I really enjoyed my short visit with him.  I feel proud and quite fortunate to have met him and hope to run into him again in the future.

Thank you Barry, we appreciate you!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment