Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ron H. Comments On Jerry Sims' Fair Story

"Great story!

I went to see a promotion for a mobile home park. They had a girl in a bikini encased in a rectangular object made out of blocks of ice. One could speak with her via a CB walkie talkie. This was around 1964. While the other guys were drooling over her beauty, I kept trying to figure out how she could go to the bathroom. There didn't appear to be any type of toilet facilities. She was lying on her back, and there was a breathing vent through ice blocks. I'm guessing the inner blocks were probably clear plastic instead of ice. Jerry's post stirred my memory on this stunt. I won't be able to sleep tonight because I'm going to wonder about the bathroom thing again. It was two o'clock in the morning when I was there, so they didn't remove her for the night.

I don't remember any of the major Chicago stations doing anything like Jerry described. If anybody remembers anything else like this, please post it. Visibility is more important than most of us are aware.

Dick Biondi, who was from WLS, flew over the local shopping center and dropped many ping-pong balls from a helicopter. The balls had numbers printed on them, and one was supposed to visit each store to see if the balls he or she collected were a winner for that store. This was visibility, but the whole stunt was over too quickly. The group of ball collectors consisted mostly of kids, so it would seem the stores gained very few new customers. WLS was the only winner from this stunt. Dick Biondi and I both remember it, but most of my friends who attended have long forgotten about it.

KAAY always had something exciting going on for the general public. I was always envious because I lived too far from Little Rock to ever participate in any of the promotions. I was only able to hear the nighttime deejays, so I was only able to hear Jerry once. I really felt shortchanged.

Ron Henselman"

Ron, I agree...I'd always wanted to take a vacation right around Christmastime and go up to work with the folks on the Toys for Tots program.  Never took off, though, didn't have the cash to do it, for one thing, and my work ethic kept me at the job, up to the minute we took off for the holiday.

Needless to say (and I may have mentioned this before), KAAY was so strong in the evening, that the signal started coming through thirty minutes before sunset.  I never heard the daytime jocks, either, so it's a real treat to hear the airchecks we have today!

Thanks, Ron!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment