Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The First Clyde Clifford, from Tom Perry(man)

You never can tell how history will play out...but Tom has an insight I'd never heard of nor seen anywhere:

"Maybe you don't know how the Clyde Clifford name emerged....there was a Clyde Clifford who worked in the corporate office in Nashville...I had not seen him for 2 or 3 years when I bumped into him at a broadcast convention in Chicago about 1966...I jokingly said to Clyde, did you get out of jail.?.....he shrugged and tried to ignore me..and I wondered why he wasn't so friendly...I came to find out that he had been in some legal hot water and I suppose spent some time behind bars...I was embarrassed learning about this since I truly did not know he had been in some trouble...at any rate, it was probably Pat Walsh that thought it would be funny to have a DJ with that name, and I suppose when it happened Clyde probably thought it was amusing also....don't know where he ended up, but I always thought Clyde was a pretty nice guy. Didn't know if anyone knew the origin of Clyde Clifford.....Regards, Tom Perry(man)."

We know that the deejays were given different names, which were recycled later as a new deejay joined KAAY (there were several mentions of this in A. J.'s blog), but I didn't remember more than one Clyde Clifford. That name came from a comptroller of Lin Broadcasting, according to a post on A. J.'s blog:

http://kaay1090.blogspot.com/2006/08/ghost-at-wrightsville-transmitter.html

Thank you Tom, for this interesting piece of history! We most assuredly will be looking for more in the future!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment