Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tom Perryman and Voices

I've had several nice, enjoyable e-mails with Tom Perryman over the time since we've started this blog. I'd mentioned to him that I, like other kids, had fantasized about becoming a cool deejay one day, marvelling over their voices and trying to mimic them. When I was young, I had a stuttering problem; going over phrases that deejays used, etc. was only part of my "repair". Taking a couple of high school speech classes, later getting involved in CB, then Ham radio and learning to slow down and enunciate really helped. Later, as I got a job relating to the public and advancing in Ham radio, I realized how important speech, or communicating, really is. As I spoke to people outside the U.S.A., who were trying their best to speak English, I understood that my own speech when communicating to them was equally important in their learning (lots of people used radio to increase their English-speaking skills).

As my stuttering went totally away and I continued in my job/vocation, I got some production jobs! I never went to work for a radio station, since I was already making a good wage. I knew, by working age, that sometimes a deejay gig could be fickle, and I wanted to settle down and not move around. The production jobs paid a little extra, so I could somewhat live my dream and get something out of it, while still earning a stable wage!

Tom and I related this to one another and found that a lot of people have the same experiences and interests; here's Tom's comments:

"You know, I started out when I was in high school trying to sound like an announcer...trying to mimic the guy on the radio....hanging around a radio station in my home town brought me into contact with a good announcer, who later worked in Dallas...he was good to me and let me record my voice and then listen to how bad it was...just like you, practice and more practice helped reduce the drawl and shortcomings...congratulations on overcoming your stuttering! I know it didn't come easy.

I also started to work early (got my social security card when I was 10 years old because I worked at a bowling alley), so I know it is possible to overcome limitations when you want or need to do so...and I am not as sympathetic to some kids who blame (social surroundings) for reasons to steal or worse. We've been there, right? Regards, Tom"

Thank you, Tom...you're a great encouragement to me and others. We always look forward to your stories and comments!

Bud S. (staceys4@hotmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment